You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Friday, September 18, 2009

John Hughes Night at Vol. 1 Brooklyn,Thursday 9/17


Some background: I was born the year Ferris Bueller came out. Thus, I was privileged enough to discover the John Hughes canon all over again around the time I thought I was the only one to ever discover it. So (By the way, I don't care what anyone says, the existence of Some Kind of Wonderful does NOT make up for Duckie and Andie not ending up together at the end of Pretty in Pink. But this does:



Okay, maybe not. But we tried (so did Hughes, for that matter, but that's another story). Anyway, I was delighted to be able to attend Vol. 1 Brooklyn's tribute to the late director, tragically relocated from its usual location at Bar Matchless, to the loft at Public Assembly. Some highlights:

The emcee - somebody want to help me out with his name? I sure appreciate his encouraging us to ponder the eternal question: Jake Ryan vs. Ferris Bueller vs. John Bender? Guess which one I picked? No really, guess. I promise it will be an amusing diversion for you. And me.


Jesse Sposato (Sadie Magazine) on how Hughes films ruined her love life.


Susie Hwang being adorable and a very talented accordionist and singer as well, especially working from the Hughes songbook: "If You Leave," "Danke Schoen." No Simple Minds, alas, but maybe next time.

Newly minted authoress Ivy Pochoda (The Art of Disappearing) who by the time I got there, was already having way more fun than I've had in weeks.

Chelsea Hodson, an classmate of mine in an undergrad English class, a long time ago in another life, writing from the perspectives of each of Hughes' main characters.

And of course, Jason Diamond of Vol. 1 itself, himself a native of Hughesville (aka North Shore of Chicago) who is the most self-deprecating talented guy I've ever met. Jason, write more fiction (And I'm not only saying that because he links to me a lot).
'
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

- Allison

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=b99eddf36aff58858396830b5948cb9b